commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: digester 2.0 [WAS Re: [digester] [PROPOSAL] More pattern matching flexibility]
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:21:46 GMT
Hi Jean-Francois,

Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
> Sorry, my english....right now, some XMLReader methods are available at
> the Digester level (ex: setFeature, getFeature, setProperty,
> getProperty). I think we need to wrap all XMLReader method, or hide the
> actual one. Right now, I'm able to do:
>
> Digester d = new Digester();
> d.getXMLReader().setContentHandler(...)
> d.setEntityResolver(...)
>
> I would prefer doing
>
> d.setContentHandler(..)
> d.setEntityResolver(...)
>
> OR
>
> d.getXMLReader.setContentHandler(..)
> d.getXMLReader.setEntityResolver(..)
>
> Agains, both way works fine. I think we have to decide to support only
> one way of accessing XMLReader's methods.

Okay, understood you well this time ;o)

My personal preference would be to have users access everything through
getXMLReader(). This would be analogous to the SAXParser in JAXP, for
example. I'm not a big fan of the law of Demeter, as replicating all
methods of an encapsulated class makes the responsibilities less clear.

Not to start one of those scary pattern discussions, and just a
statement of my personal preference... I strongly agree with you that a
decision on this is necessary for Digester 2.0.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de