commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: digester 2.0 [WAS Re: [digester] [PROPOSAL] More pattern matching flexibility]
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:13:25 GMT
Christopher Lenz wrote:
> Note that the Matcher doesn't store the Rules themselves, that will be
> the responsibility of Digester. Digester will just request the matched
> patterns from the Matcher and then lookup the corresponding rules in a
> map (for example).

Okay, stopping to ignore a test failure with universal matching ;-), I
realized that this won't work, as the clear association between pattern
and rule is lost. So the Matcher needs to know about the rules:

   public interface Matcher extends ContentHandler {

     // adds a rule with a matching pattern.
     public void add(String pattern, Rule rule);

     // removes all rules
     public void clear();

     // Returns the list of rules that match the current document
     // context, in the order they've been added.
     public List matches();

     // Returns the list of all rules in the order they've been added.
     public List rules();

   }

So the Matcher would not be as fundamentally different from the Rules
interface as I first though, but that makes the RulesAdapter easier to
implement ;-)

The matches() method could also accept a namespaceURI argument so that
the returned rules are limited to that namespace. But as that
functionality would be common to all Matcher implementations, I'd rather
put it in Digester. However I've also not put much thought into that
aspect yet.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de