commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Dever" <jdev...@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject RE: [httpclient] Add dependancy on commons-collections
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:02:39 GMT
Vincent has a wrapper for HttpURLConnection that is now part of HttpClient
(voted in after discussion some time ago).  The sun interface requires that
the headers be sequentially accessable in the order they are read from the
stream.  The current datastructure that httpclient uses to store headers is
a HashMap that looses the order info.  The
HttpMethodBase.getResponseHeaders() method returns an array of headers in
arbitrary order.

The HttpURLConnection is a new feature for 2.0, but the header ordering is a
bugfix to the current HttpMethodBase.

I don't see how re-using a component from a commons project "seems counter
to the intent of commons".  Using the whole commons-collections.jar is a
upgrade path, but at the moment I just want one class, not the whole package
and the dependancy that comes with that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Waldhoff, Rodney [mailto:rwaldhof@us.britannica.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 12:58 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: RE: [httpclient] Add dependancy on commons-collections

> How about we just drop the SequencedHashMap into HttpClient.

I think I'm gonna have to vote -1 on this, at least for now.  It seems
counter to the intent of commons.  I'd rather just add the dependency to
commons-collections, or, taking into account Vincent's concern, simply omit
this feature for a 2.0 release.

I think I missed some of the discussion on this (and the eyebrowse archive
seems to be missing it as well).  Can someone describe why this is critical
for a 2.0 release?  The ability to retrieve headers in the precise order
they were recieved from the server seems like a nice feature, but not a
strictly critical one.  Can someone clarify?

- Rod