commons-dev mailing list archives

From scolebou...@btopenworld.com
Subject Re: [lang] Builders complete?
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:11:38 GMT
>  from:    Steve Downey <steve.downey@netfolio.com>
> Post release, there should also be a discussion of introspectionX versions of
> the reflectionX methods. I know we ruled it out of scope for [lang], since
> it's more of a bean thing. But the builder classes aren't things that
> [beanutils] is really doing, at least at the moment. And duplicating the
> XBuilder classes in [beanutils] doesn't really seem to me to be a good way of
> serving our clients.

This is the cyclic dependency issue I raised a long time ago. There's no simple solution.
Unless [beanutils] merges with [lang].

> [Read this as, I've got a really dandy use of ToStringBuilder in mind, except
> that the classes I've got to work with don't have fields, just
> getter/setters. Database row objects, generated by Oracle's jpub.]

I guess you are thinking about using the DynaBean classes from BeanUtils. These are fine,
but are too bean specific for my tastes.

I've been trying to play with a new [clazz] project. This would define an interface based
definition for a class, like DynaBean, but have lots of supporting code for introspecting
values in different ways. Ideally, it would then extend to include BCEL generation. But there
are lack of time pressures ;-)

Stephen