commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject Re: [lang] release status?
Date Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:43:53 GMT
On Sunday 29 September 2002 03:25 am, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Steve Downey's been finding some issues with the RC, which I think are
> currently all applied or mentioned below. Are there any others out there
> currently?
>
> Steve, are you finished with your sweep, or more to go?

I've finished. Looks like the recent subpackages are a lot cleaner than the
base lang package.

> 3 'issues' I'm aware of currently from Steve's sweep:
>
> 1) NullPointer/IAE/quiet mode. This is not standardised across Lang, [or
> is it just the StringUtils stuff?]. Majority opinion seemed to be that we
> deal with this after a release.
StringUtils is a bit inconsistent with NPE vs quiet treatment of nulls. The
docs that I've added I think address my issues. It amounts to that the code
should be useable without looking at the implementation.

SerializationUtils also has a policy decision embedded in it. It converts
checked exceptions into unchecked (runtime) exceptions that wrap the thrown
exception.

It's documented, though.

> 2) Documenting O(n) of methods. This is a good thing to introduce as a
> standard for the next version I think, especially as it'll raise issues
> about which algorithms need improving.
>
> 3) CharSetUtils has some issues. The CharRange.UNSET value will have
> problems if we introduce reverse ranges.

I suspect that making distinct classes for ranges, single characters, etc will
solve some of the issues. Since CharSets come out of a factory, we can make
the factory smarter. We do need to keep an eye on it as we don't need yet
another regexp package.