commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject [lang]Bug in StringUtils.deleteWhitespace()
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:50:05 GMT
I'm going through StringUtils, doing some doc cleanup. eg adding throws
NullPointerException where a method will, and saying what will happen where
it won't.
I was going to add a note to this method, documenting which definition of
whitespace was being used, when I realised something. The set of characters
that deleteWhitespace cuts from a string doesn't match ANY of Java's
definintions of whitespace.
It will trim
    ' ' - space
    '\t' - horizontal tab
    '\r' - carriage return
    '\n' - line feed
    '\b' - backspace

Backspace isn't a whitespace character. Formfeed, on the other hand, is. And
this is ASCII (ISO-LATIN-1) only, Unicode has a superset definition of
whitespace.

I think the definition should be changed to: (cut and paste from javadoc for
String.isSpace())
	'\t' '\u0009'  HORIZONTAL TABULATION
	'\n' '\u000A'  NEW LINE
	'\f' '\u000C'  FORM FEED