commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject Re: commons-logging
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:06:12 GMT
On Thursday 19 September 2002 09:50 am, Joseph Ottinger wrote:
> I've got another (yes, yet another) logging framework planned, and I'd like
> support for it in commons-logging, but a few questions come up before I
> write my own wrappers:
>
> 1) Is commons-logging still aimed at the 1.1 API? Why?
>
> 2) Why don't you allow integral mappings to priorities, instead of calling
> the actual methods like info(), etc? (My proposed framework has many, many,
> many more levels, and they're not floodgated like commons-logging uses. In
> other words, INFO+ERROR is a viable "level".) Without integral mappings, I
> can make a mapper work, but there's absolutely no way to expose my logger's
> (proposed!) power to commons-logging without some other invocation
> mechanism.

Because if you want that control, you should use the underlying logging
framework directly. Commons-logging is there to enable logging by components
in a framework neutral manner. It needs to be a lowest common denominator
API. If it did use level enums, it would still need to define its own, since
one framework's DEBUG is not going to be == to another framework's DEBUG. So
you end up with exactly the same semantics as .debug().