commons-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Burdick <charles_burd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Scamp: Source Control Abstraction
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:57:57 GMT
This is indeed a great idea.

An associated deliverable I'd love to see is a set of XML DTDs for
describing log entries, etc.

If the API could output to a standard XML format, then each app could
avoid parsing all the text output of each SCM tool.

--- Weber, Lance <Lance.Weber@McKesson.com> wrote:
Following some interesting discussions on the Maven list, I'd like to
propose starting an SCM abstraction project, tentatively named Scamp.

Proposed Goal:
Scamp is a Source Control Manager abstraction layer. It provides a
standard interface to SCM systems allowing common source control
operations such as checkin/checkout, labelling/tagging, reading
changelogs and diffs.

Initial design goals:
-- expose a stable SCM interface contract for consuming applications
(Maven, Ant, etc).
-- provide extensible infrastructure for specific SCM implementations.
-- configuration driven implementations
-- file system independent
-- supports multiple projects, multiple/distributed source providers