commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject Re: [lang] New exeception tests - CVS doesn't compile
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 05:11:11 GMT
Seems that JDK 1.4 isn't happy. It's compiler is a bit stricter about the language:

test:compile:
    [javac] Compiling 26 source files to /home/sdowney/build/jakarta/jakarta-commons/lang/target/test-classes
    [javac] [ERROR] /home/sdowney/build/jakarta/jakarta-commons/lang/src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/exception/ExceptionUtilsTestCase.java:129:
getCause() in org.apache.commons.lang.exception.ExceptionUtilsTestCase.ExceptionWithoutCause
cannot override getCause() in java.lang.Throwable; attempting to use incompatible return type
    [javac] [ERROR] found   : void
    [javac] [ERROR] required: java.lang.Throwable
    [javac] [ERROR]         public void getCause()
    [javac] [ERROR]                     ^
    [javac] [ERROR] /home/sdowney/build/jakarta/jakarta-commons/lang/src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/exception/NestableDelegateTestCase.java:1212:
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NonThrowableNestable should be declared abstract; it does
not define printStackTrace(java.io.PrintStream) in org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NonThrowableNestable
    [javac] [ERROR] class NonThrowableNestable implements Nestable
    [javac] [ERROR] ^
    [javac] [ERROR] 2 errors

Where it does compile with JDK 1.3

I haven't tried any of the other Java compilers I have about.