commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Scamp: Source Control Abstraction
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:18:05 GMT
On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 13:53, Weber, Lance wrote:
> Following some interesting discussions on the Maven list, I'd like to
> propose starting an SCM abstraction project, tentatively named Scamp.
>
> Proposed Goal:
> Scamp is a Source Control Manager abstraction layer. It provides a standard
> interface to SCM systems allowing common source control operations such as
> checkin/checkout, labelling/tagging, reading changelogs and diffs.
>
> Initial design goals:
> -- expose a stable SCM interface contract for consuming applications (Maven,
> Ant, etc).
> -- provide extensible infrastructure for specific SCM implementations.
> -- configuration driven implementations
> -- file system independent
> -- supports multiple projects, multiple/distributed source providers
>
> Architecture:
> My initial thoughts are to utilize a combination of AbstractSCMFactory and a
> SourceControlManager interface with concrete implementations of both. We
> might possible need some secondary classes representing projects,
> connections, and filesystems, but I'm not sure on those yet.
>
> 0.1 Release Goals/Requirements:
> -- First version of SCM Interface, focused on primary/core SCM operations
> -- AbstractSCMFactory
> -- Stubbed concrete factories for cvs/vss/vfs?
> -- exception infrastructure
>
> Any thoughts, feedback, requirements, design, existing code pointers, etc
> very welcome. Potential participants more than welcome!!

I think this would be great. There's code lying around all over the
place and it would be nice to collect it together in one place.

+1

I know several people using Maven have been wanting to use various SCMs
and I'm sure Ant could use this code too.

Maybe we could put out a call for any SCM related code people have lying
around (JCVS would be great to get a hold of), pile it all in the
sandbox and start sorting it out. Maybe the CruiseControl folks would
like to donate what they have.

> Thanks, Lance
>

> Lance Weber
> Chief Architect
> CareEnhance Services & Systems
> McKesson Health Solutions

> and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
> message.
>
> --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl