commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [i18n] howto create a new module in commons-sandbox ?
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:59:31 GMT
I've taken a look. Here are my initial comments:
1) You've put a GPL licence on the top - this is incompatable with Apache

2) You rely on JDK 1.4 because of the regular expressions. Commons generally
targets JDK 1.2 or later. Sometimes JDK1.1. Using the Jakarta regular
expressions code is not a choice either because commons projects shouldn'r
really have 'big' dependencies.

3) I'm unclear as to what purpose ContextKey and ContextValue play

4) Apart from the parameter substitution, I'm unclear as to what other
benefits the package gives as it stands

Let me explain a little more. I have code at work that allows us to work
with resource bundles in a nicer way too. It allows XML resource bundles,
and bundles that receive the locale when they are called (enabling DB
lookups for example). It has an interface that allow the retrieval of simple
resources, lists, maps and XML resource data.

These are the parts I find useful - a parameter substitution could be done
separate from the i18n library (although there may be a case for
integration). One other thing, there is an i18n package in Avalon Excalibur
that will also be considered at some point for commons.

Stephen