commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] Utils having a public constructor
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:05:26 GMT
scolebourne@btopenworld.com writes:

> Thus protected with an exception gets my vote.

-1 on an exception.  A protected ctor already keeps any Commons
 classes from being directly instantiable.  No reason to keep others
 from extending and using the code in ways not originally intended.
 This is goodness, what reuse and collaboration is all about, and
 should not be prevented.

> The Util class outlined below is the appropriate solution for
> Velocity's limitation. (And should thus be coded in Velocity, not
> commons)

Note that use of public member variables is explicitly not supported
by Velocity.