commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [Collections] CVS question
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:34:19 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Jack, Paul wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:00:48 -0700
> > From: "Jack, Paul" <pjack@sfaf.org>
> > To: "'commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org'" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: [Collections] CVS question
> >
> > I want to rename SimpleObjectFactory to Factory.  How should I handle
> > that in CVS?  There a number of different approaches, what's the "best
> > practice?"
> >

> The best approach is to (in your repository) delete the old one and add
> the new one.  That leaves an audit trail in the attic:
>
>   mv SimpleObjectFactory.java Factory.java
>   cvs delete SimpleObjectFactory.java
>   cvs add Factory.java
>   cvs commit
>
> The only place this doesn't work well with CVS is on directories -- there
> isn't really a way to delete them.  That's why the usual directions for
> checkout are to use "cvs update -dP" so empty directories get pruned for
> you.

Another approach is to edit the repository at
/home/cvs/jakarta-commons/collections directly.  Note that this is
dangerous; never delete or rename directories or files which exist in
more than one branch or tag.  Also be sure that the unix permissions
are still set appropriately afterwards.  Unless all of this gives you
warm fuzzies, I don't recommend doing it.  ;-)
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>