commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Newcomers
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 01:17:08 GMT
"Michael A. Smith" <mas@apache.org> writes:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> > What you seem to be saying is "Thanks - we'll take it from
> > here..." and that should give anyone pause before donating or
> > using commons software.
>
> That's not really what Stephen is saying.  What he's saying is that
> those initial committers that came with the initial codebase are
> abandoning the codebase and are not maintaining it, while others like
> Stephen and myself have stepped in to maintain that code.  In a sense,
> we're filling in the holes the initial developers left when they
> stopped participating with the codebase.

Michael, that is exactly what Stephen is saying.  From his mails to
this list, and from private mails exchanged between us (thanks for the
facilitation, Henri), this is more clear to me than ever.  From his
more recent mails in this thread, I can see that he may finally have
actually read the charter of the code base he's a committer to.  I'm
glad that something good has come out of this goat rodeo.

I am one of the "initial developers" of this code.  The library works
for me as is, I use it in almost all my software.  That I'm not
constantly adding random functionality to it doesn't mean I'm not
maintaining it.  When there is a clear need for something, such as the
refactoring of the [lang] exception package which Costin made clear
need occur before he would consider using it, I stepped up and did
it.

I really want to start using [dbcp] in Eyebrowse, but would prefer to
work against a final 1.0 release.  The exception changes were not only
maintainence on [lang], but an indirect contribution to [dbcp] (which
has a latent dep on [lang]), both of which can be used in Eyebrowse
(which is _not_ a ASF project).  This is the sort of synergy which the
Jakarta Commons encourages.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>