commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [lang] 1.0 release foci (fwd)
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:36:33 GMT
Regarding printStackTrace() in ExceptionUtils, I ended up adding
methods for manipulating stack frames, rather than for printing them
to provides more flexibility for the user.

  String getStackTrace(Throwable)

  String[] getStackFrames(Throwable)

Supplying this API also side steps possible mis-matches in the
semantics of printStackTrace().  Since different Throwable
implementations may or may not implement printStackTrace() to print
the _entire_ stack trace (especially if their nested trace isn't
recognized by the impl as another link in the exception chain), we
would cause confusion by saying that an ExceptionUtils implementation
will always print the full trace of the entire exception chain.  It's
possible that there's a way around this; if so, we can always add it
later, implementing it with the methods defined above.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>