commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [Collections] CVS question
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:25:38 GMT
"Jack, Paul" <pjack@sfaf.org> writes:

> > Another approach is to edit the repository at
> > /home/cvs/jakarta-commons/collections directly.  Note that this is
> > dangerous; never delete or rename directories or files which exist in
> > more than one branch or tag.  Also be sure that the unix permissions
> > are still set appropriately afterwards.  Unless all of this gives you
> > warm fuzzies, I don't recommend doing it.  ;-)
>
> That's why I asked.  I've worked on projects where what you describe
> was the "best practice" because it preserved the log history, but it
> led to horrible, horrible agony.  I think I'll go with Craig's
> suggestion. :)

It only leads to agony if you don't know what you're doing or have a
temporary mental lapse.  So yeah, I guess you're right that it
generally leads to agony.  ;P

> Someone should develop a cvs rename command.

It just hit alpha.  It's called Subversion
<http://subversion.tigris.org/>.  It's self-hosting.  The hardest part
about using it is getting your finders to remember to type `svn`
instead of `cvs`.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>