commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] Utils having a public constructor
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:23:39 GMT
"Jack, Paul" <pjack@sfaf.org> writes:

> Hm.  Would this work?
>
> public class Util extends Object {
>
>     public Util() {
>     }
>
>     public StringUtils string() {
>         return null;
>     }
>
>     public ObjectUtils object() {
>         return null;
>     }
>
>     public CollectionUtils collection() {
>         return null;
>     }
>
> }
>
> Then velocity pages could say $foo.string().method() yes?

Yes, that would work.  However, it would break compatibility for
anyone already using StringUtils.

> I really am just trying to help.

I know.  I'm attempting to preserve backwards compatibility across
projects and keep the Commons libraries as useful as possible (even
for those cases which we don't generally consider them for).
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>