commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] Utils having a public constructor
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:28:11 GMT
"Jack, Paul" <pjack@sfaf.org> writes:

> > Introspection does not work without instances.  Given how JavaBeans
> > work, and how long Velocity has had its existing behavior, change
> > seems highly unlikely.  And since Geir has even done work towards
> > making the behavior pluggable in CVS HEAD, not really necessary,
> > either.
>
> I'm not sure I'm following.  Introspection is for JavaBeans.
> StringUtils is not a JavaBean.  If Velocity is only meant to work with
> beans, then it's not supposed to work with StringUtils, and there's
> no issue.

Velocity treats anything you put into its context in a bean-like
fashion.  I agree that StringUtils is not a JavaBean.  Regardless,
Velocity is able to use it in a bean-like fashion as long as there is
an accessible ctor.  What value is there in preventing this behavior?
Allowing this behavior allows re-use of Commons code, which directly
matches the charter under which Commons components operate.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>