commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:50:21 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>>We are talking about jakarta projects - like velocity.
>>>And 'we' means velocity developers who may use this package too.
>>>
>>>Is there any jakarta project that is using this piece of code ? If not,
>>>maybe it's a good idea to stop this debate and move it back to sandbox.
>>>Or velocity can just create a fork that fits his needs - if the
>>>component doesn't work for them, they are more than entitled to do
>>>so, and I think we should use the more open version.
>>

>> Wouldn't that be funny, forking code that came from Turbine/Velocity so
>> we can use it in Turbine/Velocity?
>
> I don't find it funny (I know you don't),
> it would be a *big* failure for Commons :-/

IT IS ALREADY A BIG FAILURE FOR COMMONS !

We spent a week and 100 mails to argue about a trivial thing
that would clearly allow a jakarta project to use that code.
We hear all the 'code purity' arguments - and that for some
code that uses static methods and is not extensible in the
first place.

My only question is who uses the code right now. Because
my vote will be -1 on any project I'm involved with to use
it - this lack of compromise and attitude is not a good
sign.

Costin