commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [discovery] code/design review [was Re: The exegesis]
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:51:58 GMT
At 10:16 AM -0500 2002/08/14, rsitze@us.ibm.com wrote:
>I'm either to sleepy (I thought I woke up), or something doesn't quite
>fit..
>
>Would you elaborate on, or correct, this?
>
>>I don't think the burden of using those resources (to make a
>>Properties or feed an XML  parser) are so great that it's even worth
>>a lot of trouble building up 2a -- or rather, once you start down
>
>Your 'findClass' is 2a in my mind..  what am I missing?

In my mind, findClass is the main thing which discovery is designed
to do.  Given an interface, discover an implementation class.

My suggested "Object newInstance(...)" is kind of like what you
mentioned in 2a, but it seems like such a common case and relatively
inoffensive, so it seems like it should go in the core.

Hope that helps;  I was moving back and forth between editing that
email and doing other things for a while yesterday so I'm afraid it
may not be as clear as I'd hoped...

Joe

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956