commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Jelly/jexl/velocity/bsf/jxpath/jsp-el ?
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:06:32 GMT
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, James Strachan wrote:

> > Are BSF wrappers planned for any, or are plans to duplicate bsf
> > in a different project ?
>
> Jexl could implement BSF wrappers I guess. Though BSF didn't look ideal for
> an 'expression evaluator API' last time I looked. I did try to use that as
> the plugin API for expression languages in Jelly but found it less than
> ideal. BSF is more focussed scripts, rather than little expressions.
>
> It might be nice if we come up with some simple API to represent expression
> languages to make them all pluggable.

I'm still digesting the informations and the new languages, but
in case BSF does eventually get into Apache I would really want
a clear explanation on why BSF doesn't work and why BSF can't be
fixed to support what is needed.

We have too many APIs - and BSF is already supported by several languages.
At least I'm tired of new duplicated APIs.

The reason I asked - I wanted to extend the ant PropertyInterceptor, and
BSF seemed the easiest way to avoid writing a plugin for every
language. But if every language starts defining it's own API for
other languages to implement....

Costin