commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [TOOLS] was Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:22:08 GMT
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Juozas Baliuka wrote:
> > > Speaking of compromises, was there any objection to the bean wrapper
> > > class idea other than maintenance?  If I can eliminate the maintenance
> > > from this idea (by volunteering for now, and later to build a tool to
> > > automate the process), are there any other objections to the idea?
> >
> > I'm +1 on you doing all of the actual work. :)
>
> I have a time and I have started this kind of tool implementation :)
> It will live in http://cglib.sourceforge.net with "dynamic proxy generator"
>
> I am going to omplement something like this :
>
>  Object bean =  Enhancer.toBean( Math.class );
>
>  context.put( "math", bean );

This doesn't solve the problem described by those wishing for a public
constructor.  My interpretation is that the bean must be constructed at
compile time, not at runtime, so that users don't need to do anything
special to use the wrapper (e.g. have BCEL on the classpath).

In an ironic twist, my plan is to use Velocity to automatically generate
the bean wrapper as a source code file that is compiled with the
XxxUtils class.

regards,
michael