commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:46:41 GMT
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Jack, Paul wrote:
> I really don't like this idea.  I, for one, don't want to
> write a bean version of CollectionUtil's eight zillion methods,
> nor does the prospect of maintaining such a beast appeal to me.

It shouldn't be hard to write an automated script using BCEL or
something to generate it automatically.  but yes, I understand your
point.

> What did you think of the final class/public constructor idea?

I still think its a poor design practice to have a public constructor
for a class that shouldn't be instantiated, but I won't -1 it.  I'd like
the idea even better if it was deprecated.  Actually, I'll +1 a
deprecated public final constructor.

regards,
michael