commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: The exegesis
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:37:18 GMT
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 rsitze@us.ibm.com wrote:

> More fuel for the fire:
>
> 1.  discovery is a (functional) pattern...
> 2.  discovery provides component life-cycle support (SingletonService)...

I didn't noticed it. That should be removed - there is no need
for it.

I'll change my vote on the release of discovery to -1 until this gets
fixed. It should implement the 'services' spec but
shouldn't define any API for the services to implement.

> which, of course, raises the obvious question:  should it?  How many
> life-cycle interface does a component have to implement??

It shouldn't. Various applications that use discovery may define
lifecycle - for example JAXP defines how a parser is created ( factory,
etc ), ant defines the lifecycle of a project helper, etc. That's between
the application and the components, discovery must only find the classes.

Costin