commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: DBCP/LANG
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:38:49 GMT
On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> > I'm +1 for removing NestableException from lang, in favor of utulity
> > methods.
>
> -1
> We don't all use JDK 1.4. NestableException is a highly useful way of
> handling exceptions. The fact that everyone tends to write their own
> suggests that there should be a common implementation. I know that not
> everyone favours exception wrapping, but it is a recognised technique used
> by many people in many places including the JDK. This will stay.

I think you got it wrong.

Everyone is designing exceptions based on their needs - and it is indeed
a very common pattern to use a getCause() on the exception, and tools
like the logger can use this pattern ( and introspection in pre-1.4,
Throwable.getCause() in 1.4 ).

That doesn't mean there is a need for a NestableException base class
that projects should use ( i.e. TomcatException extends
NestableException).

There is need for common code to parse the stack trace and helper to
manipluate the nested exceptions - but [lang] is completely useless for
that, if a project doesn't extend NestableException, it won't get any
help.

In other words - I don't think tomcat ( for example ) will change the
exceptions to extend NestableException, especially when the same benefits
can be achieved using a tool that can manipulate arbitrary exception (
including ServletException, etc ).

Of course, that doesn't mean I want it removed from lang - just that it
raises red flags for me, as I said I don't like very much utils
that require users to change their APIs ( and the exception hierarchy
is part of the API).

Since commons allows duplication - I'll just wait for a general-purpose
exception helper that will do the same thing on arbitrary exceptions.

Costin