commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject DBCP/LANG
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:19:39 GMT
First issue: there is now a dependency of DBCP on lang. It doesn't apear
in proposal, and I don't remember any vote on this.

AFAIK [lang] has not been released - that causes problems for projects
using dbcp. ( tomcat will probably have to either wait for a 1.0 release
of lang or drop use of dbcp ).

I took a look at the use, there are few
ObjectUtils.equals() - which is a simple equal with checks for nulls.
And there is  deserialize() that just wrap the original exception
in a runtime exception - a very bad thing IMHO.

Regarding the wrapper exception - NestableException - I find it very
wrong.

Having a common tool to manipluate exceptions would be great - but
I don't think this is the one.
There is a very common pattern ( getCause() ) used in most exceptions,
and there is already code to use introspection to walk the exception
hierarchy. Introducing a new type and expecting projects to change their
APIs ( exceptions are part of the API ) to use it is wrong - especially
when there are solutions without tight coupling.

Costin