commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] 1.0 release foci (fwd)
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:18:26 GMT

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> From: "Henri Yandell" <bayard@generationjava.com>
> > 1) Reflection: Could we put this off for 2.0?
> > 2) Enum. This is in the main cvs now.
> > 3) HashCodeUtils. This is now HashCodeBuilder.
> > 4) ExceptionUtils. This is in CVS now.
> > 5) StringUtils. There are some suggested additions to this to be
> > discussed, but not a lot.
> > 6) NumberUtils. Some suggestion of extra functions for it, but nothing
> > really concrete yet. 2.0?
> > 7) Util.CalendarUtils/*. Anything pressing in here or 2.0?
> > 8) SystemUtils. Seems cool :)
> > 9) CharSetUtils. Should this be there?
>
> I have some more ideas for classes (ToStringBuilder, EqualsBuilder,
> CompareToBuilder) and fields NullObject - but these can wait for later
> discussion.

+1 on ToStringBuilder. Maybe. I was thinking of a generic thing which
could toString arrays and the like nicely.

I've also got a Notifier idea I'd like to move in at some point [makes
Event/Listener pattern easy. Might not be a Lang thing].

> The only problem we face ATM is SystemUtils. We either
> 1) Remove it to the sandbox
> 2) Remove the controversial parts to the sandbox
>
> I favour (1) to get the release out.

If the release manager is unable to make a release based on only some of
the classes, and I think it could be quite tricky, then I favour 1 too.

Hen