commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] StringUtils containsOnly method
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:23:10 GMT

That is a good point, though not necessarily true.

Where does StringUtils end and a regular expression engine pick up?

The idea of StringUtils as it compares to RE is that it handles simple
versions of the same ones. CharSetUtils does some basic character classes,
and this could be something that shouldn't be done.

Adding new functionality to CharSetUtils isn't a bad thing, just whether
you think that CharSetUtils imposes too much on a regular expression
engine.

[The CharSet expression system has the following:

a-z     a to z
a       a
^a      not a   ]

Is this an imposition IYO?