commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (3b) XxxUtilsConstructors last chance
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:13:31 GMT

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 8/22/02 9:19 AM, "Henri Yandell" <bayard@generationjava.com> wrote:
>

> >If you focus on the single class in question
> > then you're missing the point. Currently Collections has Utils with a
> > private constructor, this means that the Collections project is off-limits
> > to instance-using projects. If this is such a big issue that many Jakarta
> > projects need instance Utils, then it's big enough that Commons needs to
> > have a common view on it.
>
> I don't think we need a common view...

If that's true, then the only issue at hand is how much control a project
that submits code has over its submissal, whether it matters if that code
was an original submission or a later one [StringUtils is a merger of at
least 3, more likely 4 or 5 versions], whether Jakarta projects
automatically supercede others, whether the Jakarta project existed
before the creation of the Commons project to get superceding, ie) all
Commons-wide issues which I'll leave for wiser heads to worry over.

Hen