commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [commons]NPE or IAE?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:38:12 GMT

I do recall this coming up in Collections and I think they chose to throw
NPE if null was passed in and not IAE, I think because Sun stated that for
Collections.

A preferred style document sounds good to me. Possibly one project could
adopt it, [Collections? Lang?] and others would choose to go with it or
not.

I would be tempted to think that Collections would be best placed for this
and am +1 for Lang/Util/IO to adhere any coding standard which Collections
choose.

Hen

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Ola Berg wrote:

> A quickie.
>
> When contributing new code directly to Commons, would you like me to use IllegalArgumentException
for all illegal arguments to a method, or NullPointerException for the illegal nulls?

> This question goes out to
> 1) all Commons, since this is fresh code in Commons
> 2) io, since the particular class is in io
> 3) lang, since it works closely with lang
>
> Preferences, anybody?
>
> Personally, I prefer IAE, since that leaves me with only one exception
to throw for all illegal arguments, regardless of cause. Putting the right
value in a parameter is something you do in order to maintain consistency,
avoiding NPE and other runtime exceptions. IMO.

> Second: there was a thread on coding conventions lately. I wonder if
> it would be a benefit if questions like these (such as naming
> conventions: XxxUtils/Xxxs, when to use toXxx and when to use asXxx
> etc) could be answered in a \"prefered style\" document: a non binding
> style guide that reflects the most popular styles of the committers,
> or lists the acceptable styles (sorted in order of preference maybe)?
>
> IIRC, XxxUtils was favored over Xxxs by the majority, but was that documented (elsewhere
than in the mails)? In a document where the answer to the NPE/IAE question should go too?