commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Coding conventions in Commons
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:56:10 GMT

What are the rules when merging code from two different projects?

My pet being StringUtils, I thought I'd take a process of this to see how
it should be handled with a code convention.

StringUtils is donated to Commons-Util from Turbine, with Turbine coding
standard.

I merged a large chunk of String-taglib into StringUtils.

StringUtils moved over to Commons-Lang.

Methods were tweaked. Avalon code was added to StringUtils. Some code from
various other projects was added.

Commons-Lang doesn't have a code-standard, so according to the rules as
most people seem aware of them was intended to follow Sun style. Not that
this is enforced hard or anything.

With so many inputs into the coding convention, how can the original
authors be respected?

[Just because I face this a lot and am wondering how best to handle it]

Hen