commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: DBCP/LANG
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:50:52 GMT

So you mean an ExceptionUtils style thing that will take 'getCause' as a
special method name, use reflection to see if it's there, and assumed a
tree of Exceptions via getCause?

Sounds good.

ExceptionUtils.toNested(Exception);NestableException ? ;)

> That doesn't mean there is a need for a NestableException base class
> that projects should use ( i.e. TomcatException extends
> NestableException).

So a Commons version has theoretical importance, even if developers won't
want to extend things very often. I've towed a line similar to yours on
extension/interfaces/frameworks, but have felt that very simple cases such
as NestException and Enum were workable.

> There is need for common code to parse the stack trace and helper to
> manipluate the nested exceptions - but [lang] is completely useless for
> that, if a project doesn't extend NestableException, it won't get any
> help.

Currently yes. So let's improve it.

> In other words - I don't think tomcat ( for example ) will change the
> exceptions to extend NestableException, especially when the same benefits
> can be achieved using a tool that can manipulate arbitrary exception (
> including ServletException, etc ).

Extending a NestableException improves the speed of the arbitrary
exception handling tools. They can check instanceof before the reflection.

> Since commons allows duplication - I'll just wait for a general-purpose
> exception helper that will do the same thing on arbitrary exceptions.

Lang.exception.ExceptionUtils maybe? [as a suggestion that such a thing be
created. There's one method in StringUtils which is intended to head to
that already].

Hen