commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: [pattern][lang] Cross dependecy
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 15:37:13 GMT

I'm +1-maybe on this long term, but -1 on this now.

I don't see any likelyhood that the upcoming release of Lang will depend
on Patterns [I've been a bit delayed in organising things due to my wife
being in hospital this week].

As Lang is mostly full of static components, I've yet to see any examples
of patterns that Lang would depend upon. I fully expect there to be some
in the future, but currently?

As for Commons-Core, I'm in favour of this too, util/io/lang/patterns as
one jar, but have a feeling there are views against this.

What I'd like to see:

Lang 1.0 released soon. Enum and Reflection bits to be considered, and
some hashing thing that Stephen was talking about before he holidayed.

Patterns maturing. I think there's a danger of seeing everything as a
pattern and I expect Patterns to involve lots of debate and changing of
minds. Suggestions as to what components would implement which patterns
would be a good first start for every Commons component.

NestableException staying where it is for the time-being.

I'm seeing Patterns as being dependent on Lang [if it has any such need]
but Lang would not depend on Patterns with the current code base.

Once we have Util sorted, IO released, Patterns finalised, Lang chunky,
then we would discuss the best next step.

Just a suggestion :)

Hen