commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Lang addition: CalendarUtils
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:46:13 GMT

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> > My preference would be to submit the CalendarUtils to the Util sandbox and
> > consider the virtues of migrating it to Lang during the preparation for a
> > 1.0 release.
>
> -0
> The exact divisions between [lang] / [util], and [io] / [net] seems to come
> up again and again. I believe that CalendarUtils should be in [lang], along
> with BitField and the WordWrap stuff (the unique id stuff is now accessible
> via [pattern]. To me, [util] is a holding ground for individual useful
> classes looking for a home. With its current combination of classes [util]
> can never IMO become a commons proper project.

I partially agree.

The current functionality of [util] is a needed one, but could we not call
it something vaguer such as [misc] ?

The separation of the util components from the lang components really
depends on how much there is in [util]. With collections missing it is
quite small. Times are basic features of a language [or at least should
be, cf rebol] and I'm in favour of lang having a .time subpackage with
many time based classes in. Such as a Time class etc :) Joda might be cool
for that, I have to admit I still have to look at it.

Hen