commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Bowler <mbow...@GargoyleSoftware.com>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Dependancy on JSSE
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:45:39 GMT

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Jeff Dever wrote:

> I guess the question is: how important is it for httpclient to run in ann
> environment without ssl available?  (I'm a Canadian which has quite a bit of
> freedom with encryption and am not aware of what the export issues may be with
> ssl).

My understanding of the US export laws is that although JSSE can be
exported to most countries now, there are still some restrictions.

For myself it doesn't really matter (I'm also Canadian ;-) but I'm not
sure how my users will be affected.  I'm the maintainer of HtmlUnit, a
unit testing framework that uses HttpClient internally.

I think it would be preferable to not have any runtime dependancies on
JSSE.

--
Mike Bowler
Principal, Gargoyle Software Inc.