commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [discovery] minor API change...
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:08:59 GMT
Welcome James!

+1

Costin, I'm only just beginning to realize the ramifications of your
tactics, and I like them... hoping to better understand them over time.  I
agree that what you are proposing needs to be clearly presented.  Maybe
it's time to break out more packages?  Even rename the base package?  What
do you think about three entry-point packages:

org.apache.commons.discover.resources
org.apache.commons.discover.services
org.apache.commons.discover.class(es)

with 'generally useful' quick-tools and usage patterns in the base package
org.apache.commons.discover, as is done today.

(note that I've dropped the 'y' from discovery).

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

+1, go for it.

I'm still experimenting with this - just found the jndi 'discovery'
for jndi.properties and jndiprovider.properties, and I'm trying to
see how it can be used for ant.tasks and taskdef.

I'm even more convinced that 'creation of instances' is less esential.

Locating resources - both classes ( drivers, tasks, interceptors, etc )
and descriptors ( properties, modeler mbean info, ant tasks, etc ) is
IMO the essential feature.

Costin

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, James Strachan wrote:

> The static method on ServiceDiscovery to create a new ServiceDiscovery
> implementation, based on your JDK, is right now called
getServiceDiscovery()

mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>