commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [discovery II] Ready for next review
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:58:47 GMT
Take a look at the code in o.a.c.d.tools.Service and DiscoverClass.  I'll
be keeping them up-to-date (they represent a fairly static interface I
want to use at ONE (high) level).  They demonstrate usage of the working
classes (in o.a.c.discovery).

The documentation/javadoc if probably fairly accurate in describing what
DiscoverClass DOES.

Regarding keeping up:  tell me about it.  Took me a week or so to see what
Costin was talking about (an example helped), particularly in how is
should be used (who WANTs that much information, anyway?  Just GIVE me
that class, darn it).  Clearly the key concepts are ones that are not
apparent from the code, but in how it will be used..

How do I intend to use it?

Consider that I've got the ability to obtain a list of classes, that I can
'query' each class and 'ask' it if it can help me (pass in a param if
needed), apply other selection criteria, and (hopefully) end up with the
'right' class for my needs.

Discovery will not DO that for me, but it will give me the information.
I'll be writing the special-case query/selection code for my needs.

<ras>

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

Richard Sitze wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> A brief rundown of current history... after moving from sandbox to
commons
> proper, we decided to refactor the entire scheme... the documentation
> refers to elements that were moved to o.a.c.d.tools.  Hefter low-level
> elements are being introduced to o.a.c.discovery, and undergoing
(almost)
> daily refactoring as we work out the design...

I *tried* to follow you two, but you seem to have a prior knowledge of
the needs you are trying to solve with Discover that I still partially
lack.

> there are times when I wish we could just sit down at a table and plow
> through some of this, but the time lag gives everyone time to consider
> ramifactions.
>
> I'd appreciate your comments.  You are, of course, welcome to play with
> this, but I wouldn't check it into another project until after the
current
> situation stabilizes somewhat...

That's why I jumped in  :-D

 > I, like costin, think we are getting close.

It seems so.

> Documentation will be updated after we work a few more things out.

It would be much more easy to partecipate if there were just the main
use-cases with example usage...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -
For additional commands, e-mail: <
mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>