commons-dev mailing list archives

From rsi...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: The exegesis
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:16:03 GMT
Let me say up front:  I'm OK with your ideas in principle, BUT there is
another side.. help me to clarify the correct course of action

DiscoverySingleton is an abstraction of what LogFactory was doing: find
LogFactory implementations, cache (by thread context class loader), and
provide a 'release' mech.  The creation of the factory and the release are
communicated to the LogFactory impl (init/release).

This made sense, and it makes sense... it's managing a cache of objects
and should inherit responsibility for them (lifecycle).  While I can agree
to remove that from Discovery, i'd like to have a way to plug something
else in (if not now, then later is fine :-).  I think its clear that
Discovery has a place in a framework, so how can we propogate component
management from an outer framework down through Discovery & it's cache?

The original purpose of the caching in LogFactory was to facilitate
object-management in a managed environment (cleanup objects created by a
servlet when app comes down, but not necessarily the appserver).  I still
need this.... so I think discovery needs some level of lifecycle
management.

<ras>

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 rsitze@us.ibm.com wrote:

> More fuel for the fire:
>
> 1.  discovery is a (functional) pattern...
> 2.  discovery provides component life-cycle support
(SingletonService)...

I didn't noticed it. That should be removed - there is no need
for it.

I'll change my vote on the release of discovery to -1 until this gets
fixed. It should implement the 'services' spec but
shouldn't define any API for the services to implement.

> which, of course, raises the obvious question:  should it?  How many
> life-cycle interface does a component have to implement??

It shouldn't. Various applications that use discovery may define
lifecycle - for example JAXP defines how a parser is created ( factory,
etc ), ant defines the lifecycle of a project helper, etc. That's between
the application and the components, discovery must only find the classes.

Costin