commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack, Paul" <pj...@sfaf.org>
Subject RE: [Collections] Release potential?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:28:55 GMT
> I'm sorry to bring these things up at a rather late date
> but I guess it's better now than after the release.

Well, yes and no.  Things that can't be changed after the
release should be addressed now.  Things that can be added
later should be, IMO, because there are people seriously
waiting on a new Collections release, and I wouldn't want
to rush new features.

In your list here, #2 must be addressed immediately.  #1
can be without hurting anything, so if you've got the
patches, by all means submit them.  But #3 would require
much thought as to what goes into the interface (can't
add new methods later) so I'd prefer to defer it until
after the release.  The existing classes can always
implement a new interface without breaking backwards
compatibility.

Regarding #2, I'm not sure I agree with you.  Whereas yes,
the term "ArrayList" implies that it subclasses ArrayList,
the JavaDoc clearly indicates that it doesn't, and I'm not
sure what a better name would be for a list backed by an
int array.  Did you have something else in mind?

-Paul