commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack, Paul" <pj...@sfaf.org>
Subject RE: [Collections] adding sync/unmod
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:05:12 GMT
> > Sign..., but it makes no sense to be able to do
> > BagUtils.unmodifiableBag();
> > but not
> > MapUtils.unmodifiableMap();
> >
> > Whats the difference? It seems very antagonistic towards
> > the Java supplied collections. Our Utils classes are being
> > advertised as 'where you go to get decorators'. Yet we are
> > excluding the basic ones?
>
> Actually, I don't think of our Utils classes in that way.  I think of
> our utils classes as fulfilling the holes left unfilled by Sun's
> implementations.  At least that's what the collections
> charter says...  :)

Right.  To use our library somebody must already be familiar with
the JDK's.  They'd have to already know where to find the basic
synchronization wrappers since they're explicitly mentioned in
every Collection and Map JavaDoc in the JDK.

I think it's confusing either way.  If we include the JDK collection
decorators, why aren't we including the rest of the JDK's utility
methods?  I think it's much cleaner to say "If the JDK doesn't provide
it, look for it here" rather than having selective overlap.

-Paul