commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack, Paul" <pj...@sfaf.org>
Subject RE: [Collections] subpackage for iterators?
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:23:16 GMT
Okay, I'm going forward with the subpackage.  The way the
javadoc task is currently set up, the deprecated classes
won't appear in the public JavaDoc, so it's less ugly
for new users.  Old users will have to check the release
notes if they want to get rid of their deprecation
compiler warnings, but this seems acceptable.

My strategy for deprecation is:

1.  Copy the source files to the new directory, alter
their package statements and commit them.
2.  Edit the files in the old package so that they
are trivial subclasses of the classes in the new package,
and add @deprecated tags.

So that we'd have:

  package org.apache.commons.collections.iterators;

  public class FilterIterator implements Iterator {
      // ...
  }

and

  package org.apache.commons.collections;

  /** @deprecated */
  public class FilterIterator extends
    org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.FilterIterator {
      // ...
  }

-Paul