commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ola Berg <ola.b...@arkitema.se>
Subject Re: [logging] Internationalization of log messages
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:23:33 GMT
bayard writes:
>Why would
>a swede wish to read error logs in poor english when the creator could
>have written a much better version in swedish.

Sweden is a special case. Yes, we actually do favor technical info coming in poor English.
We are pretty used to poor English, being so poor at English as we are (because we don\'t
realise that we are poor at it so we don\'t see that it\'s poor :-)

>anglicised/americanised nations.

Yup. Americanised R Us.

But I do agree with the original poster\'s remark that the wording in the documentation sounds
as if i18n is mandatory. Skip that, let people choose.

As for a Swedish/Chinese/Klingon/Whatever Java version... no. English, even crappy, provides
cooperation over nation boundaries.

<off-topic>
A stupid project manager I had once insisted that all method and class names should be in
Swedish, in a java beans based system.

Instead of \"getFoo()\" we had to write \"hamtaFoo()\", and of course had to spend many valuable
hours writing bean info\'s for all the beans since the normal name standard based introspection
didn\'t work. Duh!
</off-topic>

/O