commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ola Berg <ola.b...@arkitema.se>
Subject Re: [lang] System properties
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:35:00 GMT
>Things must be configured, not detected from System properties by OS name.
<snip what=\"example\"/>
>Doe\'s somebody knows \"good\" usage for OS_XXX ?

Your example of what you call \"crap\" is good usage sometimes. What if your paying customer
wants automatically applied heuristics like those? I might not like it, but the customer is
always right, even when he is wrong. He might not be the best java architect, but he do feeds
my children.

What if you want to make an automated build system in order to achieve write-once-run-anywhere?
Or somebody pays you to do just that?

As long as there will be platform dependent peculiarities, there will be a need for automatic
detection of the platform.

/O