commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ola Berg <ola.b...@arkitema.se>
Subject Re: [OT] Newcomers
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:23:45 GMT
geirm writes:
>When it comes down to making a choice between one portion of the user
>community and another, this will be so much harder.  But that doesn\'t appear
>to be the case here.

On the contrary, I think this is exactly the case. Some of us are looking for the best design
(even if it breaks our existing code) when solving recurring and common problems, and feel
that open source is a developement process that should generate this (and thought that this
was the place).

Others see this as commons ground for jakarta projects mainly, and that maintaining backwards
compatibility (understandably considering the importance of the donor projects) is a key success
factor, as costin so wisely pointed out.

scoulebourne writes:
>That the charter should be
>amended to emphasise commons right to exist as a top level jakarta component
>in its own right. Give commons the mandate to do what it is perfectly placed
>to do, build high quality low level libraries for the Java community, of
>which jakarta is a part.

No Stephen. Commons came into existence with a reason, before you and I (and others) entered
the scene. As things stand, you and I are sometimes blocking (you) and disturbing (I) that
goal. A project where the existing jakarta projects can do compromises in order to share a
common code base is justified and welcome.

I just happen to think that building \"high quality low level libraries for the Java community\"
in an ASF style is justified too, and that I very much would like to be a part of that process.
Commons as it stands should do its thing.

Both goals are justified, but they cannot be achieved with the same code base. Doesn\'t this
call for a separate open source project for us \"common utility makers\"? Wouldn\'t everybody
become happy then?

/O