commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Coding conventions in Commons
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:27:58 GMT
On 8/19/02 8:29 AM, "Henri Yandell" <bayard@generationjava.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Exactly the view I've had.
>
> I'll happily change a submission/patch's style to match that of the area
> it's going into, but generally I assume that all of Commons used Sun
> coding style from having thought i'd read that on the website.

I think each component should do what it wants.  We respect the views of the
committers of the component for everything else, why not this?

I personally detest many things about Sun's conventions - I can't see why
they invented a new style for a C/C++-like language, so coming from a C/C++
background (and Pascal, Fortran, etc...) it's somewhat grating sometimes,
but I am sure the same is true in reverse if all you have known is Java...
(I also think there are good parts to it...)  I generally believe that there
should be functional / working reasons for a style, usually specific to the
language it's for.

Anyway - I don't want to debate style.  Just wanted to note I think original
style should be respected, and each component should be able to choose it's
own style.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.