commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:03:31 GMT
On 8/18/02 7:20 AM, "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebourne@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

> The first vote was inconclusive, so I reckon we should have another go...
> ([collections] needs to know for its upcoming release)
>
> Background
> - Some tools, like Velocity, need an instance of static utility classes to
> work with, and thus a public constructor

Some tools that are in collections *came* from Velocity. Respect your
ancestors. :)

> - No acceptable workaround for Velocity has been found
> - The current commons standard is private
> - This impacts [collections], [lang] and [io]
> - Some of the [collections] classes already have public constructors
> - Sun's static utility classes have a private constructor

Let me ask the question : What is the downside of the public CTOR?

I am sure that Velocity isn't the *only* software in the world that uses
utility classes that way, right?

Sorry if this has been discussed to death - I missed the thread.

While I am in the "STATUS.html" file, here's my nonbinding vote as a
customer and interested party :

> "use protected constructors for static utility classes"
> [  ] +1   I agree
> [  ]  0   I don't like it, but could live with it
> [ X ] -1   I disagree
>
> "use deprecated public constructors for static utility classes"
> [  ] +1   I agree
> [  ]  0   I don't like it, but could live with it
> [ X ] -1   I disagree

IFF you add :

 "use public constructors for static utility classes"
> [ X] +1   I agree
> [  ]  0   I don't like it, but could live with it
> [  ] -1   I disagree

Otherwise ignore it as I think you should offer all three options, because
there is nothing but downside here, IMO.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.