commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: StringUtils constructor is private
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:14:57 GMT
On 8/12/02 9:37 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jason@zenplex.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 01:44, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>> I don't see many reasons why not. I should be able to easily sneak out a
>> replacement jar for the beta without making a song and dance about it,
>> it's not something that will break on anyone.
>>
>> A bigger question, is why does it break things?
>
> We many tools that use velocity that specify a set of tools in
> properties file. The tools (texen, dvsl, torque) simply instantiate
> objects for the toolbox based on the contents of a properties file:
>
> toolbox.tool.strings = org.apache.commons.lang.StringUtils
>
> Which doesn't work with a private constructor.
>
>> I'm not a proponent of
>> privatising constructors without something to protect so am the easiest
>> person to convince, however if there's some kind of common tool which can
>> only handle instance methods [and statics by pretending they're instance]
>> then we should modify all Utils to have constructors unless absolutely
>> necessary.
>>
>> Is it a velocity thing?
>
> Well people often put utility classes into a velocity context to perform
> basic string, number manipulation. So in this case, yes, it's a velocity
> thing.

In a sense it's a velocity thing, as Jason is using Velocity and coming
across the problem.

On the other hand, its a general thing :  I think that for general utility
classes that can be instantiated with an argless constructor, having it
public makes it easy for any 'tool using' code that want to instantiate
dynamically

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.