commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: [JJAR] using maven's repo...
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:33:40 GMT
On 8/12/02 8:23 AM, "St├ęphane MOR" <stephane_listes@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> I think that the repository will contain the project.xml file
> for each of the projects. This way we could get each project's
> dependencies easily. There is a goal in Maven called deploy:pom
> which was done for this purpose, I believe.
>
> An advantage of this is that you can tell that A depends on B,
> and if B depends on C, you get that info from B's repository's
> project.xml, and you get C for free. We've been talking about
> that and refered to it as "direct dependencies" or "first level
> dependencies", or again "inherited dependencies", which is
> something that may be really helpful regarding the commons for
> instance, where inter-dependency is quite high.

I think you should glom together into one place - maybe have some sort of
sweeper that periodically (or upon checkin) rebuilds a single descriptor
from the project.xml's that describes everything.

Why?

1) It makes it easy to just take one file and digest it.

2) You can insulate people who need dependency information from the format
of the project.xml - so you can change the project.xml format on a
per-project basis (i.e. Things can evolve rather than have to jump all at
once...) and the consumer of the repo don't need to know that.

3) You can add other inputs into the dependency graph other than project.xml
files, and again, the repo consumer doesn't need to know.

> As for JJAR, I don't know how that sort of things could fit,
> but I guess that both dependencies models can be merged / adapted
> to each other so that JJAR users can use Maven repos and Maven
> users can use JJAR repos...

I think that's easily possible.

geir
--