commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Digester/Beanutils performance
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 19:04:00 GMT
On Thursday, August 8, 2002, at 06:55 AM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

<snip>

>> The problem is that MethodUtils ( I haven't look too much in the other )
>> is doing all kind of tests and advanced things ( matching parameters,
>> looking in superclasses, etc ). This is quite expensive - in most
>> cases I've seen just using the method is doing the job.
>
> There are cases where exact match is sufficient, and cases where you want
> the more loose matching (finding compatible arguments instead of identical
> ones).  IMHO, that's a tradeoff that the user should really be able to
> make, by letting it be configurable.

it is configurable - it's just that digester defaults to using the more
general match.

i agree that we're now reaching the stage where we should be looking at
optimization. i'd like to get the release out the way first, though, since
most this code will probably be moved into a new home. it would be nice to
have a single optimized solution that combined the best of the existing
solutions.

- robert