commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject RE: [lang] System properties
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:30:18 GMT

[snip]

> I honestly think the number of CPUs helps in the decision process,
> because the system can handle that many more threads.  The only
> problem is that there is no *currently* standard way of grabbing
> that information.

Agree.

> Win 9x can only support one processor

Now, this is actually rather important. Even if there's a way to determine
the number of CPUs on the hardware, that's not enough. You can install Win9x
on a multiprocessor box, but the OS can only make use of one processor. So
you need to know the OS as well as the number of CPUs to be able to make the
right decision.

--
Martin Cooper